Our grass-fed and finished dry-aged Beef Oxtail is ideal for making any quality beef broth. The finest chefs rely on oxtail for making consommé and other delicious beef based sauces. We only harvest between 4 and 6 per week so we limit each person to 2 per order per week. Thanks for your understanding.
Each Beef Oxtail weighs approximately 1.2 kilograms.
LIMIT OF 2 PER ORDER (or 2 per WEEK)
- Place thawed oxtail in a baking dish and cook in a 350 F oven until well browned, about 45 minutes.
Baking the oxtail first adds tremendous flavour to the broth.
- Remove browned oxtail from the baking pan and place in a pot suitable for making soup.
We usually use one oxtail for a 2 litre soup pot.
- Cover the oxtail with two inches of water, and add:
- the leafy parts of several celery stalks
- 1 medium onion cut into 4 pieces
- 4 peeled garlic cloves
- a few whole black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down and cover so the pot is at a low simmer.
- After an hour, skim the little bit of foam that comes to the top of the stock pot.
- Continue to simmer for several hours until the broth has a deep rich colour.
- Pour through a fine sieve to remove solids.
- Freeze in smaller containers for future use or make soup right away.
All of our beef cuts are dry aged the old fashioned way for 18 to 21 days for added flavour and tenderness. This is very different from virtually all conventional beef found in big box stores or restaurants that has been wet aged in a plastic bag.
We believe in giving you the best value so all of our cuts are well trimmed and our roasts are tied. Our products are vacuum packaged to add freezer life and for convenience — simply thaw in cool water before cooking.